Friday, April 13, 2012

I am a 1/2 Marathoner!

Hello Friends!!

Wow! I cannot believe it has been almost 3 weeks since I ran my 1/2 marathon! Sorry I have not posted a re-cap of the race or the celebration after. It has been a crazy 3 weeks. But here is the recap...

The Race:
We got to the race early and did a lot of standing around. I was kind of nervous during this time but definitely not freaking out. I was more calm than I thought I would be. I was more just ready to begin the race. Once we started running I got a little more freaked out because the first mile was hard and Heidi took off in front of me. But after the first mile I really calmed down and settled into my pace. I was good for the first 6 miles of the race. Heidi and I were running together (until mile 5) and I was able to just run. About mile 6 I was getting a little bored but I knew my friends Courtney, Kari and Bethany would be along the side during mile 6 so I just kept telling myself to keep running until I got to them and I could stop and talk. It was AWESOME to see them and talk to them. It made me understand how important it is to have people out there cheering you on along the course. I didn't think it would be, I was wrong. After I stopped to talk for about 5 minutes I was ready to get back on track. Miles 7-10 were good too. I saw Will (my trainer) and Nemo (another trainer who works with Will) around mile 9 and it was good to see them along the course. Miles 10-13 were HARD. I had never run past 10 miles and I ended up walking more than I wanted during this stretch of the race. I think total I probably walked a mile (including all the water stations and my breaks during the last 3 miles), which isn't bad for my frist time. The FINISH was the best part. I saw Teal and Michael when I first entered Fair Park, then I saw Courtney, Kari and Bethany closer to the finish line and I saw Beth right before I finished. I was so happy when I crossed that finish line. It is crazy to me that I ran 13.1 miles but it definitely is an awsome feeling to think about.

When people ask me how I did, I say I finished and that is all that matters. And it is. My official time was around 2:44 and I know that it wasn't the best race I could have run and I learned some lessons but I reached my goal which was simply to cross the finish line. And I am happy with that. But ready for the next one. White Rock anyone?!?

My boyfriend, Greg, were tracking my progress along the course with his phone so it was fun to get a text from him as soon as I crossed the finish line (he had to play and run sound in church that day so he couldn't come).

Here are some pictures from before, during and after the race.








Celebration:
In the days before the race, I think I was more excited about the celebration after than I was the actual race. Mostly because it meant I was going to be done, but also because it meant I could eat whatever I wanted. Unfortunantly, it did not go the way I wanted it too. My friends Courtney, Kari, Bethany, Heidi, Kristin and myself were going to gather at a restaurant for brunch wtih Teal and Beth and their crew. Sadly the place we wanted to go was crazy busy so we ended up at Hacienda on Henderson becasue the could seat us right away. Which was great, too bad they didn't have a waitress who actually wanted to help us out. We got our drinks (yes, I got a mimosa...or two) and chips but then had to ask for menus, silverware, and had to ask to order. 1.5 hours after we sat down we got our food...well, everyone else got their food. My friend Kristin and I did not. I eventually got my food but not before a little bit of harsh words for the manager's at the restaurant. Needless to say I will NEVER be going back to that place. It was misrable. But the company while I waited was great and I cannot say thank you enough to all my wonderful friends who was there for me during and after my run. It means so much to me.


What's Next?I knew I would want to take at least a week off of running after the race, but in the past 3 weeks I have only run twice for a total of 5 miles. I have been hanging out with Greg more and just not as interested in running. Part of my excuse was I needed a new pair of running shoes and I had convinced myself I couldn't run without them so this past saturday I went to buy some new ones. So, I have no excuses any more. I have decided to start running next week again. At least, I need to start running again next week.



April is perhaps the best month of the year (and this April has been the best one yet...) so I will have to update you soon on everything that has been going on during the past few weeks. Until then...happy running!

-Cynthia 

No comments:

Post a Comment